TaKtiX: Chris Dyer

Chris Dyer is a lead playtester for Warlord, has been UK Champion in both Open and Campaign formats at the same time; he placed 2nd overall at his first KoHIT (2004) and highly in the second KoHIT (2005).

Friday, May 26, 2006

Top 5 Influential Cards from EOTS: #2

On to card number 2, and Rod gets a point here. Actually, he gets two points, because I've cheated a bit. Y'see, I had two potential cards to go in this slot, and I couldn't decide which one better defined what I was looking for. And then I decided to stop worrying about it and choose them both, because this is my blog and I can do what I want. So, with that petulance out of the way, my number two cards are:

Volda's Mantle and Cast Asunder

So, what's so special about these two cards? One word defines them both, and that's Control. Now, many card games have an arechetype called Control. It generally means nullifying or cancelling all your opponents threats and laying down a small amount of offence yourself to gradually win. Warlord didn't really have any decktypes that fit this mold. The closest style was probably either Dwarf healing, or Raziel, whose tactical discarding and blanking do give you an element of control.

But worry not! The two cards above are enough by themselves to set up a whole new archetype. Attatch Cast Asunder to Antaelus and away you go! If you use this card sensibly it's quite easy to spend an enitre army. (It's even better if you manage to freeze a level 4 character in place with only the Warlord in rank 3, which can quite often lead to level 4 characters in hand that can't be played.) Add Shadow and Volda's Mantle in to the equation and you can stun any character on the table. If you're really cruel, you can add Withering Gaze in to the mix for an either better lockdown. To finish off, all you need is characters that can generate strkes while spent, like Kabyrr the Insane, and a few order spells, like Fiery Bolts. What you're left with should be a very potent deck, able to spend or stun any possible threat to you before gradually wearing them down. Best of all, every card I've mentioned above, bar Kabyrr the Insane, is Epic bugged, meaning this deck will continue to exist through the next arc.

Next time I'll give you my number 1 influential card from the set. I don't know when that will be: possibly Tuesday, but if my avid reader is good I may find time at the weekend.

Until then, good gaming!

1 Comments:

At Saturday, May 27, 2006 10:44:00 pm, Blogger Shakalooloo Doom said...

I'm guessing 'contest thy title'.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home